Youtube

Youtube
My youTube channel

Peace of mind

Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Have I just experienced prejudice?

I have been traversing the campus of U.P. (University of the Philippines) several times and have been talking to some of their faculties, students, and security guards about my projects and my predicament -- they are all very helpful and kind. My experience at the Department of Mass Communication, however, is the exception. I was there yesterday; my third time, in fact. With much waiting and interrogation, finally, I convinced the security guard of my sanity. I know my position well; with a placard sticking at my back and thickening mustache on my face, I could easily put doubts on people's mind that could ruin my personality.

The permission granted on me led me to their Radio Station, DZUP. As I reached the building and was conversing with the security guard, I took off the placard at my back and carried it by hand; then I proceeded to the second floor where the media room was located. I turned the doorknob, it was locked. I asked a passers-by who looked like an employee, he told me it was break time. There was like a small lobby somewhere at the middle of the building, and three students were there talking to each other. I got their attention, and asked if I could sit down on the bench beside the two of them.

Looking directly at one of them, I proceeded to open a conversion. Then I found myself enthusiastically sharing my experiences on extreme peace of mind and the benefits I derived from them and, of course, my projects. They are such good listeners; I love them. Because of the time, they wished me good luck on my endeavors, and they left.

For the second time, I went again to the media room. By turning the knob several times, this time, it yielded. Pushing it forward wider, I stepped in; and there, I was faced with students, young ladies, staring in amazement towards me. At the farthest side, part of the area was partitioned into small cubicles open in one side, and I saw ladies in them. Almost at the center of the room was a huge table; sitting in front was a young lady too. In this setting, I was perplexed on who I will approach, since nobody was saying a thing. I noticed there was an older woman, situated in the corner, in one of the cubicles; her eyes were also at me; it could be that she was the superior, but the fact that no words came out from her mouth, I was hesitant to come and talk to her. Because I don't know who I will talk to, I just talked to the lady nearest to me, and that was the lady in front of the huge table. I explained to her that I need help to have my own radio program because I don' t have money to buy time in a commercial radio station. Moreover, I added that I was referred by the school's Administrative Department, hoping something could be done to help me. When that older woman rose from her seat to listen more clearly what I was saying, I was already telling my experiences of this extreme peace of mind and my book manuscript. The young lady whom I was talking with told me that I should better speak to the professor but, unfortunately, the said professor was not there; so I said, I will wait.

Looking around, I spotted a chair by the wall; and that was where I seated myself. At that time the older lady went out the room, clearly disgusted with my presence. Few minutes, the security guard came in and asked me to go to another building (broadcasting building). On the way down, I explained that I was there already.

Treading the path out of the building, I saw in the distance the first security guard who interrogated me. I asked him why I was directed to the broadcast building. The words I heard were not answers but commands to go over to the distant buildings ahead; according to him, " to where your friends are (referring to the idiots roaming around the place)."

With an air of hard acceptance I said, Oh, I know already what it's all about! On the distance, by the road, I removed the placard at my back to get a bottle of water I slipped in one of my bag's pocket. I was about to drink when I noticed two youngsters were in front of me. I looked at their faces, I saw in their eyes the warmness of approval - so comforting. Their presence had given me added courage to believe on what I was doing. I was so happy relating to them what had happened. In return they showed a thumb up sign of utmost approval for my cause and left. They utter very few words - but their presence means a lot. I was curious with them.  They said they are Adrian and Rocky.
------------------

Beginning
Next

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is highly appreciated...